Fourth of July Pet Safety Tips
The Fourth of July can be a happy festive time for your family and friends but did you know that more pets go missing during the time around the 4th of July than any other time of the year? Here are some great tips to keep your pets safe and happy during this holiday:
Keep them in a safe, quiet environment. Even if your pet doesn’t have a history of responding poorly to loud noises, all pets are capable of being affected by the sound of fireworks. Remember that their sense of hearing is much better than yours and that when panicked, they pose a risk to themselves and your property. Secure them in a quiet, windowless environment if possible and leave the radio on to keep them company.
Safeguard your home. If you plan on hosting a gathering, make it pet friendly:
- Never leave alcoholic drinks unattended where pets can reach them. Alcoholic beverages have the potential to poison pets. If ingested, the animal could become very intoxicated and weak, severely depressed or could go into a coma. Death from respiratory failure is also a possibility in severe cases.
- Do not apply any sunscreen or insect repellent product to your pet that is not labeled specifically for use on animals. Ingestion of sunscreen products can result in drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, excessive thirst and lethargy. The misuse of insect repellent that contains DEET can lead to neurological problems.
- Always keep matches and lighter fluid out of your pets’ reach. Certain types of matches contain chlorates, which could potentially damage blood cells and result in difficulty breathing—or even kidney disease in severe cases. Lighter fluid can be irritating to skin, and if ingested can produce gastrointestinal irritation and central nervous system depression. If lighter fluid is inhaled, aspiration pneumonia and breathing problems could develop.
- Keep your pets on their normal diet. Any change, even for one meal, can give your pets severe indigestion and diarrhea. This is particularly true for older animals who have more delicate digestive systems and nutritional requirements. And keep in mind that foods such as onions, chocolate, coffee, avocado, grapes & raisins, salt and yeast dough can all be potentially toxic to companion animals.
- Do not put glow jewelry on your pets, or allow them to play with it. While the luminescent substance contained in these products is not highly toxic, excessive drooling and gastrointestinal irritation could still result from ingestions, and intestinal blockage could occur from swallowing large pieces of the plastic containers.
- Keep citronella candles, insect coils and oil products out of reach. Ingestions can produce stomach irritation and possibly even central nervous system depression. If inhaled, the oils could cause aspiration pneumonia in pets.
- Never use fireworks around pets! While exposure to lit fireworks can potentially result in severe burns and/or trauma to the face and paws of curious pets, even unused fireworks can pose a danger. Many types contain potentially toxic substances, including potassium nitrate, arsenic and other heavy metals.
Keep Calm and give Meow.Come gift certificates! GET THEM HERE!Why?They are Easy Peasy! Take care of your gifts from the comfort of your home, in your jammies!Give a gift of any amount. Your friend/lover can use it up all at once or a little at a time.It's FAST! Your gift will arrive in the recipient's [...]
You've been meowing for this and you now have it! YES! you can now use PAY PAL for a payment option on Meow.com. We love the ease of Pay Pal and we don't have to go looking for our credit card every time we want to make a purchase. We hope you approve! Pay Pal